Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Fitness Level

As kind of a disclaimer, I wanted to describe my level of fitness and my personal goals for this workout endeavor.

I am not what I would call "physically fit." I'm not overweight and am actually a pretty small person (I'm only 5'0"), but I have very little muscle mass and generally shy away from any physical activity. I've never had a regular workout regimen save the little stint in college where my friends and I got a little gung-ho about Pilates. That lasted a quarter. When I did try to go to the gym "regularly" it was usually no more than twice a week for no more than a couple months--and all I did was cardio. I'm not the athletic type, but I enjoy dance of almost any kind--jazz, ballroom, hula, hip hop, modern, etc. However, I've never taken the time to join a dance studio or group. All in all, I'm just darn lazy. The hubs does his best to ensure that he gets regular physical activity (basketball, swimming, gym time). I don't.

That said, I know that regular exercise is healthy and can only do positive things for my well-being. That's why my goal for this Workout Video Challenge is not to lose weight or get beach ready or what not. My goal is to find a workout that not only makes me look and feel great, but also makes me WANT to keep pressing play. I want to find a workout (or workouts) that I will enjoy doing over and over, not for my short term physique, but for my long term health.

There are a lot of videos out there that promise to make you look awesome in a certain amount of time (ex. 30 Day Shred or P90x). I'm not trying to find out if their claims are true. I'm sure they're great workouts. What I want to know is, after the 30 or 90 days, would I still want to do this workout? When the 30 days are up and I look great, would I still pop that dvd in because I actually enjoy doing it? If the answer is no, then it probably wont make my favorites list.

I understand that this may cause me to find multiple favorites or need to keep videos on a rotation in order to stay interested. That's fine with me as long as it keeps me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment